Fun Fall Activities for Families in KC (2021 Fall Break)
Apple picking, pumpkin patches, baking and snuggling up with warm apple cider (or pumpkin spice latte) are all fun activities for families. However, these are just a few of our favorite fall things to do!
Whatever fall fun is your favorite, we can all agree Fall is a great time for making memories. So, we created our Fall Bucket List of fun Fall activities!
Now that the season of pumpkin spice and everything nice is here, it’s time to explore Kansas City while the leaves are changing.
We’ve got your family’s fall bucket list – filled with fun fall activities for the family and things to do in Kansas City!
Fun Fall Activities for Kansas City Kids:
Fingers crossed you have time to do them all…
Carve pumpkins together
Creating awesome faces or designs on pumpkins is a tradition many families love to do! Get messy and spend some great quality time bringing your pumpkins to life.
Or, check out these no-carve pumpkin ideas to get creative – safely.
There are several apple orchards around Kansas City, so head out to an orchard near you and pick some apples! This is one of my favorite fall activities to do with my family!
Visit a Kansas City pumpkin patch together
Another fun fall things to do is visit a pumpkin patch with your kids. See all the varieties of pumpkins and soak in the awesomeness of Fall. Many pumpkin patches also offer other activities for kids, Fall events & hot donuts. You could fill an entire day at the pumpkin patch…and bring home Fall decorations.
Visit a local farmers market in Kansas City
One of my favorite farmers markets is the City Market in the River Market downtown. Local farmers bring everything from fresh fall flowers, fresh apples and delicious fall favorites! You can find some local, Fall favorites (& maybe pick up a pumpkin)
Roast marshmallows, either outside or use an indoor fireplace
Marshmallows are a staple item in any Fall ready kitchen! Grab a bag or two and roast them until they are golden brown! *pro tip, looking for Kosher marshmallows? Trader Joe’s and select Walmarts carry them in the Kosher aisle!*
Take a hay ride
Put on your boots, grab a sweater and head out the door for a good ol’ fashioned hayride! Many of the KC pumpkin patches offer hayrides at their locations.
Visit Halloween or Fall events in KC
There are tons of fun Fall things to do in Kansas City. With so many wonderful communities around Kansas City, you are sure to find the perfect fall activity near you!
Sip on apple cider
Probably one of the most Fall things you could do is sip some warm apple cider! The scent of cinnamon and apples are sure enough to pack all of the feelings of Fall in a cup. Louisburg Cider Mill is a fantastic place to try it!
Visit the Kansas City Renaissance Festival – gotta get a giant turkey leg..
Each year, KC Ren Fest gets better & better. Kids love the step back in time – full of magic, costumes & fun activities for kids. Be sure to ride the rides & see live jousting!
Host a family game night
Getting to chilly out? Stay inside and host a family friendly game night! Want to really have some Fall family fun? Throw in games like bobbing for apples, pumpkin rolling and blind paint fall items!
Go camping in your backyard (or local camping spot)
What’s more Fall than camping out under the stars and enjoying the crisp, fall air! While you are enjoying the Fall by camping out, tell some spooky, funny or true ghost stories…
Host a backyard bonfire & roast marshmallows for s’mores
Nothing says Fall like friends, family and a cozy bonfire! Bring everyone together for an easy, fun Fall activities for the family.
Take new family photos in Kansas City
This might be a fun Fall thing to do for us parents, but it could be a great Christmas card photo! With plenty of fountains, parks and landmarks around Kansas City, take full advantage of all the beautiful changing leaves with new family photos.
Have a picnic at park near you to enjoy leaves changing at local parks!
There are tons of special, beautiful places around the city. So why not find a new one?! Take a day and follow the colors of the leaves to find a new hidden gem.
After you take some family photos, enjoy a nice Fall picnic in a Kansas City park! Pack all your Fall food favorites and enjoy a great day with the family. This is a great way to enjoy the fall colors together.
Snuggle up and eat chili
The Fall season brings cold, rainy days and nights, so why not snuggle up with a steamy bowl of chili? Add some pumpkin bread or apple bread for dessert and you have the perfect Fall dinner! What better Fall things to do than eat…?
Decorate your porch with fall flair
Plan a lovely Saturday or Sunday to decorate your front porch with all the pumpkins, cotton and wreaths you can handle!
DIY fall crafts together
Don’t have any Fall decor at home, make some! Grab to your local craft store and create one of a kind festive crafts.
Get lost in a corn maze
Headed out for a day of fun fall activities for the family? Make sure you stop at a corn maze and do your best to make it out.
Toast pumpkin seeds…YUM!
Just pick up some pumpkins?! A simple fun fall activity is to toast your own pumpkin seeds! Want to shake it up a bit? Try adding different spices to make different flavors!
Make a recipe inside a pumpkin bowl
Finished toasting pumpkin seeds? Try making a yummy soup or new recipe inside a pumpkin!
Find the largest pumpkin
While your out at your favorite pumpkin patch, try and find the biggest one you can! You could even hold a contest to see which family member can find the biggest pumpkin.
Jump in a pile of leaves
Before you pack all those leaves up in the yard, jump in them! You can also try and make “leaf angels”.
Sip hot chocolate or hot cider outside with your family
What’s better than hot chocolate, marshmallows and a big fuzzy blanket?! How about spending time outside with the family and telling stories.
Go on a hike to catch the beautiful leaves!
Open the windows to let in the crisp fall air in
This is a simple Fall thing to do, but one of our personal favorites. Let the windows open and smell the fresh, crisp Fall air!
Make pumpkin bread, pumpkin dip or anything with pumpkin in it!
We all know pumpkin is the king of Fall! So why not make the most of it by making as many things as you can with pumpkin! My favorite is pumpkin french toast!
Walk or run in a local race together
One fun Fall activity for the family is a local fun run or 5k! With the weather cooling off, there are many options. Plus, most offer run/walk options so you can participate as a family.
Tailgate together at a Chiefs football game
Fall = football! Head to a Chiefs game or your local high school on a Friday night and tailgate the day away.
Host a Sunday football party
Don’t want to deal with the hustle and bustle of football crowds? Host your very own football party at home! This is a fun Fall event that doesn’t require leaving the house!
Celebrate Oktoberfest with sausages and German food.
Bring on the sauerkraut, sausage and schnitzels at these fun Fall events. Celebrate with some of your favorite German foods and maybe do the polka – there are tons of Oktoberfest events happening around KC.
Do a nature scavenger hunt together & explore outside
With plenty of pre-made scavenger hunts on Pinterest or simply making one of your own, head out around town and enjoy this easy Fall family activity!
Enjoy a foggy morning walk together
Early mornings are great in the cooler months, but nothing is as refreshing as cool, crisp, foggy morning family walk.
Other Fun Fall Things to Do:
- Visit places kids eat FREE on Halloween (dressed up of course)
- Visit a local ceramic facility and paint special Fall knicknacks! Our friends over at Ceramic Cafe have lots of fun Fall ceramics.
- Bake a pumpkin or apple pie
- Make a festive fall wreath
- Go stargazing
- Donate to a food bank or food pantry
- Host a family garage sale with these tips
- Rake a neighbor’s yard
- Make Fall leaf art
- Spend a day putting together a puzzle
- Drink a Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Or, try 5 other Fall Flavors (that may be better than pumpkin spice…)
- Make a fun, non-alcoholic Fall drink to get in a festive mood!
- Make Fall potpourri
- Have a fall themed bake sale
- Make a scarecrow
- Build a pillow fort
- Make homemade caramel apples
- Create a new fall wreath
- Plant Fall flowers
- Take a train ride to enjoy the beautiful fall leaves to see!
- Create a new soup recipe
- Take a drive to soak in the fall colors
- Learn to knit- it will be scarf season soon!
- Take a weekend road trip – there are many fun places near Kansas City!
- Make bird feeders
- Pick acorns and pine cones
- Eat breakfast in bed
- Buy cozy socks and gloves
- Donate old spring/summer clothes to goodwill or shelter
- Volunteer at a shelter
- Eat old fashioned Kettle Corn
- Go on a day trip or weekend getaway
- Visit a farm/ petting zoo
- Go to a parade
- Take a cooking class! Our friends at Taste Buds have a great Fall session coming up.
- Create your own Halloween costumes
- Make Halloween treats & spooky snacks…for a party or at home!
- Watch Hocus Pocus…of course!
- Have a slumber party on the living room floor while watching Halloween movies
- Host a spooky movie night
- Get spooked with your teens & tweens!
- or go to Worlds of Fun Halloween Haunt (super fun!)
- Trick or Treat as a family around the neighborhood, or find a fun trick or treat event near you!
- Host a potluck Halloween party
- Host a family trunk or treat in your neighborhood & decorate your car!
- Make sure your kids are prepared for Halloween with our Halloween safety tips
- Decorate the inside and outside of the house for Halloween
- Check out fall and Halloween books from the library
- Decorate and send out Halloween cards
- Create a countdown to Halloween
- Host a Halloween costume party at home
- Or, help plan your kid’s Halloween school party – we’ve got a planning guide & easy Halloween snacks ideas for kids
- Sell your extra Halloween candy at local Halloween candy buybacks…did you know that’s a thing?
- Host Thanksgiving Dinner
- Make Thanksgiving crafts at home!
- Make hand turkeys
- Go black Friday shopping
- Make a Thanksgiving leaf and acorn garland
- Make a Thankfulness tree
Check out as many of these 85 fun fall activities as you can this year! Or, have a Staycation in Kansas City…
What is on your fall bucket list? Drop other fall activities & ideas in the comments below!
Or enjoy 16 KC kids activities together! Grab a POGO Pass to explore 16 activities for kids around the metro – all for less than $40. Spend your time this Fall creating special memories at a variety of things to do. Plus at this price, this is a steal…
When in doubt, grab a pumpkin spice latte sure and refer back to this fall bucket list to keep your family’s fall full of things to do. Be sure to sign-up for The Scoop, so you can get our Weekend Planner delivered right to you each week – filled with things to do this weekend!
From our family to yours, iFamilyKC.