100+ Fun Date Night Ideas in Kansas City: Go Out with Your Partner!
Don’t get stuck with the same old night out. We’ve got 100+ fun date night ideas in Kansas City!
Whether you’re looking for good second date ideas or planning a casual date with you spouse of 20 years, Find the best things to do on a date right here.
….what are you waiting for? Start planning your fun date!
100+ Fun Date Night Ideas
Right here in Kansas City
Fun Kansas City Date Ideas:
Shake things up a bit with these unique and fun date ideas to do around Kansas City with your sweetheart! If you are going on a date in the Fall, check out our Fall Bucket List – filled with 82 things to do in KC!
Looking for Valentine’s Day Date Ideas? Make your partner feel special on V-Day!
Enjoy Downtown Date Nights
First Fridays are always fun Kansas City date ideas.
The 1st Friday of each month, the Crossroads Arts District comes to life! Walk through food vendors, local artists, shops, galleries & more during your date night.
Be sure to check out the Uptown Arts Bar while you are downtown!
Or, check out these more low-key downtown areas:
- Downtown Overland Park
- Check out the Independence Square
- Visit downtown Parkville
- Head over to Downtown Lee’s Summit
- Hit the real downtown Kansas City – Power & Light, Westport…there’s so much to do!
- Pro tip: Stop by the Blue Bird Bistro. You won’t be disappointed.
A Weekday Wine Date
- Wine Wednesday at Colonial Garden
- Live music at the Gardens
- Charcuterie Boards & other food offerings from The Bean Counter
This makes for one of the best unique & fun date night ideas. Brownie points for uniqueness!
If you don’t have bikes of your own…
- Anywhere from the River Market to the Plaza, hop on a B-Cycle, Kansas City’s bike sharing program!
- Ride bikes all day for only $7!
Shop Local Markets in Kansas City
There are many great local markets & shopping areas for a fun date.
Shop the West Bottoms
If antiques, or shopping, is your thing, the West Bottom shops are the perfect date.
Explore tons of shops & local wares! You’re sure to find way more than you need & you can see a unique part of Kansas City.
The weekend is the best time to hit the West Bottoms as all the shops are in full swing.
If you love a thrill, check out the date ideas below for the adventurous soul.
For Adventurous Date Ideas:
- If you’re up for a thrill, check out ZipKC where you and your partner can zip through the trees on an adventurous zip line tour.
- Or, head back to your childhood & climb trees!
- If it is Halloween time, head to the West Bottoms haunted houses for a good scare. Take your pick from The Beast or Edge of Hell.
Get Active with your Partner
Get in a workout and a date at the same time!
- Try out an adult aerial fitness class at Learing2Fly for a unique date night in Kansas City. There are beginner aerial classes up to advanced classes.
- Boxing classes can be fun too!
- Bring your kiddos WITH you on your fitness date at Above All Trampoline Park!
- Thursdays at 7 pm you can drop off your kids to bounce around while you and your partner take part in the adult fitness class. It is low-impact, but exciting!
There are other fun fitness classes you can use for date ideas like yoga or tumbling.
Explore the Outdoors
Have an outdoor date! (once the weather is nice)
- Powell Gardens is beautiful, why not walk around & enjoy each other’s company? …or just sit & enjoy the scenery. There are always great events you can check out too.
- Walk, run, or hang out at your local park. Use our Kansas City Parks & Trails Guide to find beautiful outdoor spaces near you! They are perfect for a casual date or to just spend time together.
Sushi Picnic at the Lake
Grab a Sushi dinner to-go at Mint or your favorite sushi place, pack some drinks, and head to your local lake or park.
Loose Park is always a great option.
Picnic on the Lawn
- If you are looking for a fantastic view, eat dinner at the WW1 Memorial front lawn. There isn’t a better view of downtown KC.
- You can also have a picnic on the lawn of the Nelson Atkins for a fun date night idea.
Learn Something New – Together!
- Take a cooking class for adults at Taste Buds Kitchen in Leawood, Kansas or if you’re on the Missouri side, check out The Cooking Station!
- Pro tip: You can bring your own beverages to the adult classes.
- Learn to ride a horse at Sunset Stables (Lee’s Summit)
- A private horse ride would be the perfect date in Kansas City. Bonus points for a sunset backdrop!
- If you are feeling extra adventurous, learn to wakeboard at KC Watersports. This would be one of my personal favorite, fun date night ideas.
- Pro tip: Learn2Wakeboard workshops are Saturday & Sunday mornings, where you can learn to wake board for only $15 including the equipment rental! Check their website to check when the promotion ends- Labor Day.
Paint & Sip Dates:
Depending on where you are in town there are tons of options to get artsy on your date.
- Paint pottery & drink wine while you let your inner artist shine at Paint, Glaze, & Fire or Ceramic Cafe in Overland Park.
- If you live more north, there is Blanc Palette in Liberty or Pinot’s Palette in Briarcliff, where you paint different canvases or wood from directed projects. Check out their full calendar to find your exact date.
- Looking for downtown? Art Experience will teach you how to paint while you sip!
Dinner & Art Date on the Plaza:
There are tons of unique to KC restaurants, like:
- Gram & Dunn, The Corner Restaurant & Bar, or JJs if you are looking for a wide variety of delicious options.
- Buca Di Beppo if Italian cooking is your thing…this is family-style at its finest!
- If you like meat…Fogo de Chao is the move.
- Cheesecake Factory isn’t unique to KC but..the options are really endless!
Best Dinner Dates in KC:
If you’re looking for casual dinner date options, Kansas City is full of hidden gems:
- Blvd Tavern is a casual date, but the food is out of this world. They are open for dinner, brunch, & happy hour.
- The Peanut isn’t that hidden anymore….thanks to those GIANT wings. There are now 5 locations around Kansas City, but the downtown spots will always be our favorites.
- Sandwiches sound good? Pigwich is in an unsuspecting spot, but we promise its’ ah-mazingg. You can also pick up freshly butchered meat at The Local Pig next door!
Want a more upscale evening?
- Anne’s Oven is a delicious date any day of the week. But, Friday is Fried Chicken Friday. They usually run out before the night is over, so head there early!
- Another great date idea in Westport is The Westport Cafe. They are also open for dinner & brunch. You will definitely want to share everything so you can try more…
- First date? Try Extra Virgin was created by James Beard Award-winning chef, Michael Smith. They feature a full tapas and bar menu.
- If you want a yummy date on the plaza, head to Gram & Dunn – they won the best patio in Kansas City! Plus, they have delicious food & drinks!
Go Bowling After the Dinner Date
- Head out to downtown Lee’s Summit for drinks at any of the locally owned pubs and restaurants. Have a fun date night before heading over to Summit Lanes for some bowling fun.
- Pro tip: 3rd Street Social is always a delicious date night!
Restaurant Hop During Date Night
Why sit down for an entire dinner date when you can restaurant hop?! Enjoy small bites and drinks at all your favorite local eateries. Some of my personal favorites are
Dinner Date Night Filled with Bar Games:
…What is date night without a little competition?
- Char Bar in Westport is a great spot to enjoy the feel of a backyard BBQ with great yard games- corn hole, bocce ball, croquet and ping pong.
- Their food is also delicious!
- No Other Pub in the Power and Light District has an awesome bowling alley, shuffleboard and beer pong!
- If pool is more your style than hit up Westport Flea Market for pool, skeeball, and pinball.
- Chicken N’ Pickle in North KC also has a lot of fun yard games like cornhole as well as pickleball courts you can play each other on
- Have a pickleball date night by reserving your own court! (They also have some of the best chicken in town…)
- If you’re looking for more of an arcade feel…we’ve got date ideas for that too.
Breakfast at the Farmhouse
Farmhouse is one of the best brunch spots in KC, but be prepared to wait…or get there really early.
There are lines nearly every morning – for a good reason!
Or Grab Coffee Date
Coffee connoisseurs will love Oddly Correct Coffee, with something new & exotic quite often.
Or, try Quay Coffee in the River Market. You can sip your coffee while you shop around the River Market & City Market vendors!
Go Dancing for your Date
The Green Lady Lounge will jazz up any date. There is never a cover charge & jazz music playing 365 days a year!
Playtime – Let Loose on Date Night
Play with these fun date night ideas all around Kansas City.
Hit the Arcade Date Ideas
Relive the 90s by heading to an old school arcade. Luckily, they now have bars with arcades inside, so you don’t have to play with the kids on date night!
Once the tokens run out catch a movie in Tapcade’s Screenland Theatre or enjoy the patio at Up/Down. That would take this fun date night idea to the next level.
- Tapcade has tons of arcade games & beers on tap! There is an extensive beer menu filled with local beers & all the games your heart desires
- Pro tip: Tapcade also has their Screenland Theatre, where you can catch a movie after you run out of tokens.
- Up/Down is the perfect date night spot for arcade games and beer. They also have skiball and other classic games.
- Their patio is a beautiful view of downtown Kansas City at night. Be sure to check it out!
- Main Event can be a fun date night since there are so many options!
- Locations in Kansas City, Olathe, & Independence.
- Dave & Busters is a go-to for our family – with our without kids. You can eat, drink, AND play! Plus, you can use the points you win to buy food…heck ya!
- Pro-tip: Check out their daily deals like half-price games on Wednesdays to save some $$$.
Or, Play Games at Home!
- There are fun couples games you can play at your house for a fun date night in, or host other couples for a party.
Movie Dates in KC
Catch a flick at the local movie theater, or hit the drive-in. There are drive-in movies on the Missouri and Kansas sides.
Dinner and a movie may be a cliche date idea, but hey there’s a reason it’s everyone’s go-to….
Catch a Theater Show
- Unicorn Theatre (Kansas City)
- Starlight Theater (Kansas City)
- B&B Theaters (Multiple KC Locations)
- Alamo Drafthouse (Kansas City)
Or, Enjoy a Show at The Kauffman Center
From the Shen Yun shows to Harry Potter Orchestras, The Kauffman hosts performances to fit whatever kind of date you’re going for.
Get dressed up & head to one of KC’s most beautiful buildings!
Laugh Together: Improv Date Night
- Improv Comedy Theater in Zona Rosa has funny comedy shows throughout the week. They often host big names that you have likely seen on TV!
- KC Improv Co. at the Kick Comedy Theater is another great option. They have many show options & tickets are reasonable.
Take a Kansas City Beer Tour
Tour local Kansas City breweries for a fun date night with these great recommendations:
- KC Bier Co. (Kansas City)
- Crane Brewing Company (Raytown)
- Boulevard Brewing Company (Kansas City)
- Pro tip: You and your partner can also enjoy a FREE 60-minute walking tour of the brewery, which includes samples in the tasting room. BUT get there early!
Take a Kansas City Barbecue Tour
Get the ultimate KC Barbecue experience with a KC Barbecue Tour – a bus-guided tour spent sampling local barbecue joints.
Winedown for a Winery Tour
Take a local winery tour for your date night! These Kansas City wineries are the top date night recommendations from our local readers:
- Amigoni Urban Vineyards (Kansas City)
- Cooper’s Hawk Winery (Plaza)
- Pirtle Winery (Weston)
- Somerset Ridge Winery (Overland Park)
- Vox Vineyard (downtown Kansas City)
- KC Wine Co (Olathe)
- Or, stop by many KC wineries with Barley Bus Tours for a date idea throughout Kansas City!
Take a Kansas City Coffee Tour
The Roasterie -KC’s hometown coffee company- offers daily tours showing the brewing basics and the history of the company. You’re also able to enjoy a cup together.
Immerse Yourself in Mystery
- Wornall House (Kansas City)
- Kansas City Gangster Tours (Kansas City)
- The Sallie House (Atchison)
- The Dinner Detective (Kansas City)
- Belvoir Winery Paranormal Investigations & Murder Mystery Dinners (Liberty)
Throw Down Axes – Lumberjack Date Night
- Ax throwing at Blade & Timber in Kansas City and Leawood will definitely be a unique date night idea.
Get Trapped with your Date, Then Break Out
Try an escape room date at any of the metro area locations! If you are looking for date night ideas that are a little less challenging, try the mini Exit Rooms at Paradise Park in Lee’s Summit.
- Extra idea: Team up with other couples for an extra challenge. This is a great double date night idea!
Take a Segway Tour of Kansas City
Even if you have lived in KC your entire life, a segway provides a unique & exciting way to see the city. Kansas City Segway Tours have 2 options for your interests, budget, & time frame – Art & Glide or a 2-hour tour of Westport, the Nelson-Atkins Museum, & the Plaza.
Take a Weekend Getaway
…or Go on a Short Road Trip/Day Trip near KC
If you are looking to get away for the weekend, there are many great places that are a short 3 hour day trip from Kansas City. Check out our Weekend Road Trip Ideas now, including:
- St. Louis
- Eureka Springs- with cute B&B’s!
- Weston, Missouri: Drop into Pirtle Winery located in the Weston Historic District for a tasting and tour. In the backroads of Weston is the Green Dirt Farm featuring cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream. Enjoy a cocktail at the McCormick Distilling company on Main Street, or get your barbeque fix at the Tin Kitchen featuring a menu driven by hickory-smoked barbecue meats.
Winter Date Ideas in KC
When the months are cold, date ideas can be harder to think of. We’ve got your date night covered!
Play indoors at one of the date nights listed above, or take a cooking class – Taste Bud’s Kitchen offers tons of Winter-themed meals. We’ve also got some special Winter date ideas for your next date night!
Go Ice Skating!
There are tons of great places to skate around town, like Crown Center Ice Terrace.
Christmas Light Drive
Hit the Slopes in KC
Ski, snowboard, or tube at Snow Creek to have a little Winter fun on date night!
Snuggle by the Fire
Watch a movie, drink hot chocolate, wrap gifts, or just have a chat. The fire is the perfect place to relax on a date during the Winter months.
Plus, you don’t have to leave the house!
Did we forget a great date idea Kansas City has to offer? Drop it in the comments!
With some much going on daily in Kansas City there is no reason you can’t find the perfect day date or night date. We hope these fun date night ideas gave you some inspiration for your own fun dates.
Be sure to get The Scoop, so you don’t miss a thing! You’ll get our Weekend Planner sent directly to you each week with things to do this weekend in Kansas City. Plus, you will get invites to exclusive events & discounts. Don’t miss this great resource!
From iFamily to Yours.