104 Date Night Ideas in Kansas City: Time for a Night Out!
Don’t get stuck with the same old night out. We’ve got 100+ fun date night ideas in Kansas City!
Whether you’re looking for good second date ideas or planning a casual date with you spouse of 20 years, Find the best things to do on a date right here.
….what are you waiting for? Start planning your fun date night in Kansas City!
Fun Kansas City Date Night Ideas:
Right here in Kansas City
Shake things up a bit with these unique and fun date ideas to do around Kansas City with your sweetheart. If you need last-minute child care for your date, Kids Park is always a great option! It’s drop-in childcare, so no appointment necessary. You can drop your kiddos off for an hour or all night…whatever you need.
Affordable Date Night at Paradise Park: Fun & Food
1021 NE Colbern Rd, Lee’s Summit, MO 64086
Explore Paradise Park date night deals for a fun and affordable date night with someone special. It’s a light-hearted night of laughs that’ll bring out the playful best in both of you. Plus, you’ll save a bit of money!
Every Friday from 5 pm to close (10 pm in winter & 11 pm in summer), couples can play for $25 per couple. What is included?
- 1 Adventure Attraction
Activities for adults include: Rock Wall, Bumper Cars, Go Karts, Mini Golf or Laser Tag Maze
- All-You-Can-Play Arcade Card
You can use this game card all night long! There are fun games in the arcade & game room!
- 1 Topping Pizza (14″)
You don’t need to spend extra money going out to eat, food is included with your date night special…
Fall Date Night Ideas:
We asked the iFamliyKC Parents FB group for their favorite Kansas City fall dates! Check out local recommendations for a great fall date:
Hang out at a Kansas City brewery!
There are tons of fun breweries in Kansas City – one of the best activities for couples on summer dates. Check out Limitless Brewing in Lenexa, KS; Red Crow Brewing Company in Olathe, KS; or Transport Brewery in Shawnee, KS.
Pick Apples at a Local Apple Orchard
Have some fall fun and pick a snack at the same time! There are many apple orchards surrounding the metro, so no matter what part of town you are in there’s options.
Explore apple orchards near you now.
Play at Chicken N Pickle
If you are looking to get active & have fun, Chicken n’ Pickle is a great option. Their chicken is delicious…& the atmosphere is even better. There are yard games, many pickle ball courts (indoor & outdoor), & a rooftop deck.
See an Outdoor Show or Concert
Watch a KC Royals game
…& don’t forget to tailgate before! You can find the full Royals schedule here.
Explore Downtown in the Streetcar
The weather is perfect to explore downtown in the evening. Hop on (& off) the streetcar to drink, eat, explore, AND exercise. While you’re exploring downtown, play board games while sipping on your drinks at Pawn n’ Pint. Who doesn’t want to enjoy some beer, boards & bites?
If you decide to explore on the weekend, head to the City Market to pick up a few local groceries. Or, try to get a table at a local favorite, The Farmhouse!
Or, picnic at a winery
The Northland also has a great winery – Rowe Ridge Vineyard & Winery.
Take your Dog to the Dog Park
There are tons of fun dog parks throughout Kansas City, so play with your furry friends on your date!
Fun Date Nights for Anytime
Enjoy Downtown Date Night in Kansas City
First Fridays are always fun Kansas City date ideas. The monthly festival is filled with activities for couples. Walk through food vendors, local artists, shops, galleries & more during your date night.
- Downtown Overland Park
- Check out the Independence Square
- Visit downtown Parkville
- Head over to Downtown Lee’s Summit
- Hit the real downtown Kansas City – Power & Light, Westport…there’s so much to do!
- Pro tip: Stop by the Blue Bird Bistro. You won’t be disappointed.
A Weekday Wine Date
- Wine Wednesday at Colonial Garden
- Live music at the Gardens
- Charcuterie Boards & other food offerings from The Bean Counter
This makes for one of the best unique & fun date night ideas. Brownie points for uniqueness!
If you don’t have bikes of your own…
Anywhere from the River Market to the Plaza, hop on a B-Cycle, Kansas City’s bike sharing program! Ride bikes all day for only $7!
Shop Local Markets in Kansas City
There are many great local markets & shopping areas for a fun date.
Shop the West Bottoms
If antiques, or shopping, is your thing, the West Bottom shops are the perfect date.
Explore tons of shops & local wares! You’re sure to find way more than you need & you can see a unique part of Kansas City.
The weekend is the best time to hit the West Bottoms as all the shops are in full swing.
If you love a thrill, check out the date ideas below for the adventurous soul.
For Adventurous Date Ideas:
- If you’re up for a thrill, check out ZipKC where you and your partner can zip through the trees on an adventurous zip line tour.
- Or, head back to your childhood & climb trees!
- If it is Halloween time, head to the West Bottoms haunted houses for a good scare. Take your pick from The Beast or Edge of Hell.
Get Active with your Partner
Get in a workout and a date at the same time!
- Try out an adult aerial fitness class at Learing2Fly for a unique date night in Kansas City. There are beginner aerial classes up to advanced classes.
- Boxing classes can be a fun activity for couples too!
- Bring your kiddos WITH you on your fitness date at Motus Ninja Warrior
There are other fun fitness classes you can use for date ideas like yoga or tumbling.
Explore the Outdoors
Have an outdoor date! (once the weather is nice)
- Powell Gardens is beautiful, why not walk around & enjoy each other’s company? …or just sit & enjoy the scenery. There are always great events you can check out too.
- Walk, run, or hang out at your local park. Use our Kansas City Parks & Trails Guide to find beautiful outdoor spaces near you! They are perfect for a casual date or to just spend time together.
If you want to see caves near Kansas City, Cave Springs Park is a unique date idea! It’s in Raytown and offers multiple fun things to see there.
Sushi Picnic at the Lake
Grab a Sushi dinner to-go at Mint or your favorite sushi place, pack some drinks, and head to your local lake or park.
Loose Park is always a great option.
Picnic on the Lawn (A Favorite Date Night in KC)
- If you are looking for a fantastic view, eat dinner at the WW1 Memorial front lawn. There isn’t a better view of downtown KC.
- You can also have a picnic on the lawn of the Nelson Atkins for one of the best activities for couples in KC.
Or, Explore Other Places for Picnics Around Town
Learn Something New – Together!
- Take a cooking class for adults at Taste Buds Kitchen in Leawood, Kansas or if you’re on the Missouri side, check out The Cooking Station!
- Pro tip: You can bring your own beverages to the adult classes.
- Learn to ride a horse at Sunset Stables (Lee’s Summit)
- A private horse ride would be the perfect date in Kansas City. Bonus points for a sunset backdrop!
- If you are feeling extra adventurous, learn to wakeboard at KC Watersports. This would be one of my personal favorite, fun date night ideas.
- Pro tip: Learn2Wakeboard workshops are Saturday & Sunday mornings, where you can learn to wake board for only $15 including the equipment rental! Check their website to check when the promotion ends- Labor Day.
Paint & Sip Dates:
Depending on where you are in town there are tons of options to get artsy on your date.
- Paint pottery & drink wine while you let your inner artist shine at Paint, Glaze, & Fire or Ceramic Cafe in Overland Park.
- If you live more north, there is Blanc Palette in Liberty or Pinot’s Palette in Briarcliff, where you paint different canvases or wood from directed projects. Check out their full calendar to find your exact date.
- Looking for downtown? Art Experience will teach you how to paint while you sip!
Dinner & Art Date on the Plaza:
Dress up for date night and head out to the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art before heading for dinner and drinks at the Country Club Plaza. There are also fun activities for couples on the Plaza like shopping, bar hopping, wine tastings, & other local awesomeness.
There are tons of unique to KC restaurants, like:
- Gram & Dunn, The Corner Restaurant & Bar, or JJs if you are looking for a wide variety of delicious options.
- Buca Di Beppo if Italian cooking is your thing…this is family-style at its finest!
- If you like meat…Fogo de Chao is the move.
- Cheesecake Factory isn’t unique to KC but..the options are really endless!
Best Dinner Dates in KC:
If you’re looking for casual dinner date options, Kansas City is full of hidden gems:
- Blvd Tavern is a casual date, but the food is out of this world. They are open for dinner, brunch, & happy hour.
- The Peanut isn’t that hidden anymore….thanks to those GIANT wings. There are now 5 locations around Kansas City, but the downtown spots will always be our favorites.
- Sandwiches sound good? Pigwich is in an unsuspecting spot, but we promise its’ ah-mazingg. You can also pick up freshly butchered meat at The Local Pig next door!
Want a more upscale evening?
- Anne’s Oven is a delicious date any day of the week. But, Friday is Fried Chicken Friday. They usually run out before the night is over, so head there early!
- Another great date idea in Westport is The Westport Cafe. They are also open for dinner & brunch. You will definitely want to share everything so you can try more…
- First date? Try Extra Virgin was created by James Beard Award-winning chef, Michael Smith. They feature a full tapas and bar menu.
- If you want a yummy date on the plaza, head to Gram & Dunn – they won the best patio in Kansas City! Plus, they have delicious food & drinks!
Go Bowling After the Dinner Date
- Head out to downtown Lee’s Summit for drinks at any of the locally owned pubs and restaurants. Have a fun date night before heading over to Summit Lanes for some bowling fun.
- Pro tip: 3rd Street Social is always a delicious date night in Kansas City!
Restaurant Hop During Date Night
Why sit down for an entire dinner date when you can restaurant hop?! Enjoy small bites and drinks at all your favorite local eateries. Some of my personal favorites are
Dinner Date Night in Kansas City Filled with Bar Games:
…What is date night without a little competition? Finding fun activities to do together is easy when the bar is filled with games…
- Char Bar in Westport is a great spot to enjoy the feel of a backyard BBQ with great yard games- corn hole, bocce ball, croquet and ping pong.
- Their food is also delicious!
- No Other Pub in the Power and Light District has an awesome bowling alley, shuffleboard and beer pong!
- If pool is more your style than hit up Westport Flea Market for pool, skeeball, and pinball.
- Chicken N’ Pickle in North KC also has a lot of fun yard games like cornhole as well as pickleball courts you can play each other on
- Have a pickleball date night by reserving your own court! (They also have some of the best chicken in town…)
- If you’re looking for more of an arcade feel…we’ve got date ideas for that too.
Breakfast at the Farmhouse
Farmhouse is one of the best brunch spots in KC, but be prepared to wait…or get there really early.
There are lines nearly every morning – for a good reason!
Or Grab Coffee Date
Coffee connoisseurs will love Oddly Correct Coffee, with something new & exotic quite often.
Or, try Quay Coffee in the River Market. You can sip your coffee while you shop around the River Market & City Market vendors!
For Fun Lovers
Go Dancing for your Date
The Green Lady Lounge will jazz up any date. Plus, dancing is a fun couples activity.
There is never a cover charge & jazz music playing 365 days a year!
Playtime – Let Loose on Date Night
Play with these fun date night ideas all around Kansas City.
Hit the Arcade Date Ideas
Relive the 90s by heading to an old school arcade. Luckily, they now have bars with arcades inside, so you don’t have to play with the kids on date night!
Once the tokens run out catch a movie in Tapcade’s Screenland Theatre or enjoy the patio at Up/Down. That would take this fun date night idea to the next level.
- Tapcade has tons of arcade games & beers on tap! There is an extensive beer menu filled with local beers & all the games your heart desires
- Pro tip: Tapcade also has their Screenland Theatre, where you can catch a movie after you run out of tokens.
- Up/Down is the perfect date night spot for arcade games and beer. They also have skiball and other classic games.
- Their patio is a beautiful view of downtown Kansas City at night. Be sure to check it out!
- Main Event can be a fun date night since there are so many options!
- Locations in Kansas City, Olathe, & Independence.
- Dave & Busters is a go-to for our family – with our without kids. You can eat, drink, AND play! Plus, you can use the points you win to buy food…heck ya!
- Pro-tip: Check out their daily deals like half-price games on Wednesdays to save some $$$.
Or, Play Games at Home!
- There are fun couples games you can play at your house for a fun date night in, or host other couples for a party.
Movies & Theater Dates
If you need ideas on what movie to see, check out our latest movie reviews…there’s all kinds of movies
Movie Dates in KC
Catch a flick at the local movie theater, or hit the drive-in. There are drive-in movies on the Missouri and Kansas sides.
Dinner and a movie may be a cliche date idea, but hey there’s a reason it’s everyone’s go-to….
Catch a Theater Show
If you’re looking for artsy things to do as a couple, Kansas City hosts many wonderful shows, plays, concerts & everything in between.
- Unicorn Theatre (Kansas City)
- Starlight Theater (Kansas City)
- B&B Theaters (Multiple KC Locations)
- Alamo Drafthouse (Kansas City)
Or, Enjoy a Show at The Kauffman Center
From the Shen Yun shows to Harry Potter Orchestras, The Kauffman hosts performances to fit whatever kind of date you’re going for.
Get dressed up & head to one of KC’s most beautiful buildings!
Laugh Together: Improv Date Night
- Improv Comedy Theater in Zona Rosa has funny comedy shows throughout the week. They often host big names that you have likely seen on TV!
- The Comedy Club KC. in Johnson County is another great option. They have many show options & tickets are reasonable.
Kansas City Dates
Take a Kansas City Beer Tour
Tour local breweries for a fun date night in Kansas City with these fun over-21 recommendations:
- KC Bier Co. (Kansas City)
- Crane Brewing Company (Raytown)
- Boulevard Brewing Company (Kansas City)
- Pro tip: You and your partner can also enjoy a FREE 60-minute walking tour of the brewery, which includes samples in the tasting room. BUT get there early!
Take a Kansas City Barbecue Tour
Get the ultimate KC Barbecue experience with a KC Barbecue Tour – a bus-guided tour spent sampling local barbecue joints.
Winedown for a Winery Tour
Take a local winery tour for your date night! These Kansas City wineries are the top date night recommendations from our local readers:
- Amigoni Urban Vineyards (Kansas City)
- Cooper’s Hawk Winery (Plaza) This date night spot is a winery & full restaurant for you to enjoy dinner!
- Pirtle Winery (Weston)
- Somerset Ridge Winery (Overland Park)
- Vox Vineyard (downtown Kansas City)
- KC Wine Co (Olathe)
- Or, stop by many KC wineries with Barley Bus Tours for a date idea throughout Kansas City!
Take a Kansas City Coffee Tour
The Roasterie -KC’s hometown coffee company- offers daily tours showing the brewing basics and the history of the company. You’re also able to enjoy a cup together.
Immerse Yourself in Mystery
Who doesn’t love a good mystery? Solve it together!
- Wornall House (Kansas City)
- Kansas City Gangster Tours (Kansas City)
- The Sallie House (Atchison)
- The Dinner Detective (Kansas City)
- Belvoir Winery Paranormal Investigations & Murder Mystery Dinners (Liberty)
Throw Down Axes – Lumberjack Date Night
- Ax throwing at Blade & Timber in Kansas City and Leawood will definitely be a unique date night idea.
Get Trapped with your Date, Then Break Out
Try an escape room date at any of the metro area locations! If you are looking for date night ideas that are a little less challenging, try the mini Exit Rooms at Paradise Park in Lee’s Summit.
- Extra idea: Team up with other couples for an extra challenge. This is a great double date night idea!
Take a Segway Tour of Kansas City
Even if you have lived in KC your entire life, a segway provides a unique & exciting way to see the city. Plus, you can build-in other fun activities for couples while you ride…
Kansas City Segway Tours have 2 options for your interests, budget, & time frame – Art & Glide or a 2-hour tour of Westport, the Nelson-Atkins Museum, & the Plaza.
Take a Weekend Getaway
There are many fun things to do and attractions in KC, so grab a hotel for the night & explore your city like a tourist.
…or a Short Road Trip/Day Trip near KC
If you are looking to get away for the weekend, there are many great places that are a short 3 hour day trip from Kansas City. Check out our Weekend Road Trip Ideas now, including:
- St. Louis, MO
- Omaha, NE
- Topeka, KS
- Eureka Springs- with cute B&B’s!
- Weston, Missouri: Drop into Pirtle Winery located in the Weston Historic District for a tasting and tour. In the backroads of Weston is the Green Dirt Farm featuring cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream. Enjoy a cocktail at the McCormick Distilling company on Main Street, or get your barbeque fix at the Tin Kitchen featuring a menu driven by hickory-smoked barbecue meats.
If you’re looking to spend time making a difference, there are many local charities and organizations that would love your help. We’ve found 26 places to volunteer in KC for you to explore!
Winter Date Ideas in KC
When the months are cold, date ideas can be harder to think of. We’ve got your date night covered!
Play indoors at one of the date nights listed above, or take a cooking class – Taste Bud’s Kitchen offers tons of Winter-themed meals. We’ve also got some special Winter date ideas for your next date night in Kansas City!
Go Ice Skating!
There are tons of great places to skate around town, like Crown Center Ice Terrace.
Christmas Light Drive
Hit the Slopes in KC
Ski, snowboard, or tube at Snow Creek to have a little Winter fun on date night!
Snuggle by the Fire
Watch a movie, drink hot chocolate, wrap gifts, or just have a chat. The fire is the perfect place to relax on a date during the Winter months.
Plus, you don’t have to leave the house!
Did we forget a great date idea Kansas City has to offer? Drop it in the comments!
If you didn’t find a good date idea for you and your partner, check out these 33 fun things to do in KC…
With some much going on daily in Kansas City there is no reason you can’t find the perfect day date or night date. We hope these fun date night ideas gave you some inspiration for your own fun dates.
Be sure to get The Scoop, so you don’t miss a thing! You’ll get our Weekend Planner sent directly to you each week with things to do this weekend in Kansas City. Plus, you will get invites to exclusive events & discounts. Don’t miss this great resource!
From our family to yours, iFamilyKC.