Easy & Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Kids (2020 Edition)
You’ve probably seen elf on the shelf online or in your friends’ homes…
Elves have always been a part of the holidays, but what’s the deal with elf on a shelf?
We’ve got the scout elf scoop, as well elf on a shelf ideas for your home. Check it out:
To get your family in the holiday spirit, start using these fun Elf on the Shelf ideas!
What is Elf on the Shelf?
Elf on the shelf is a holiday doll you set up in different scenes around your home while celebrating the holidays.
Your kids will wake up each morning to a new elf scene to follow the story.
Kids are not allowed to move the elf as it will hurt the elf’s magical abilities.
Where does Elf on the Shelf Come From?
It comes from a rhyming book about Scout Elves who keep an eye on kids for Santa.
Each night, the elf reports back to Santa about how the kids behaved that day. So, the elf on the shelf scene is changed each night from December 1st to Christmas.
Your kids will wake up each morning to a new elf scene, because the elf has left to see Santa…
Where to Buy the Elf?
You can buy it pretty much anywhere.
Find it on Amazon, or head to Kohls, Target, or Bed Bath & Beyond to get the scout elf now.
When you purchase elf on the shelf, it comes with the rhyming book too….
Read this Christmas book to your kiddos, so they understand the elf on the shelf tradition. Cozy up together and have story time…
…it may also spark some inspiration for elf on the shelf ideas! You can also purchase 2 dolls if you have more elaborate ideas for your scenes.
Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas
1. Elf zip lining across a room (kitchen, living room) with string, dental floss, or fishing line.
2. Elf sleeping in his bed on a shelf or bookcase. (make out of a tissue box or shoe box)
3. Elf making snow angels using sprinkles! You can lay them on a coffee table or kitchen counter…
4. Elf sliding down the hand rail or staircase on Tupperware – use the lid or container!
5. Elf playing with Christmas lights, either inside or outside.
6. The Nutcracker giving your elf a piggy back ride
Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
7. Elf sitting with a letter from Santa
8. Elf playing on the computer
9. Elf hanging from the mantle
10, Scout elves repelling down fridge
11. Elf hiding inside your Christmas tree – have your elf popping out!
12. Elf cutting a snowflake from paper
13. Elf playing chess or another board game
14. Elf making coffee in the morning
15. Elf reading a book on the shelf
16. Elf hiding in the plants or decorations
17. Elf building with logos on the shelf
18. Elf writing or hanging Christmas cards
19. Elf hiding in the fridge – if they eating food
Other Fun Ideas for the Elf
20. Elf on the shelf eating fairy bread – anywhere in your home.
21. Elf decorating mini Christmas cookies
22. Elf packing a lunch
23. Scout elves cooking in the kitchen – leave mess!
24. Elf taking a selfie – maybe use a plastic phone.
25. Elf playing board games with your kids’ other stuffed animals
26. Elf hanging from light fixture or ceiling
We hope your family enjoys the new elf on the shelf tradition for Christmas.
If you have other ideas for elf scenes, drop them in the comments! We need an elf idea for each day in December, so we will need lots of scenes for our elves.
Make sure your sign-up for The Scoop to stay up to date on things happening in Kansas City with kids. You will also get exclusive invitations to Kids Club Events, movie premieres, & other fun things to do in KC.
From our family to yours, iFamilyKC.