The Teal Pumpkin Project: Protecting Kids with Allergies this Halloween
If your kids or neighbors you know have allergies, you’ll want to know about the Teal Pumpkin Project…
Whether you have a child with allergies or if you just want to support children that do, check out these allergy-safe options this Halloween & educate yourself on allergies.
The Teal Pumpkin Project
As a parent, I know what it takes to keep my kiddos happy and healthy. But, when we are exploring new neighborhoods and people, there are special food needs we need to keep in mind.
Because of the growing number of children with allergies, Food Allergy Research & Education created The Teal Pumpkin Project.
The Teal Pumpkin Project aims to help all kids have a safe trick or treating experience with options for treats that are allergy free. The more families who are participating in The Teal Pumpkin Project, the more children can be included in trick or treating fun this Halloween…
What is The Teal Pumpkin Project?
The Teal Pumpkin Project is a campaign that creates awareness about food allergies while promoting inclusion for all trick-or-treaters.
Houses participating in the campaign simply place a teal pumpkin on their porch to signify they have allergy-free options. Then, going shopping for non-food items like toys, glow sticks, stickers, or other fun trinkets.
How to Join the Teal Pumpkin Project?
- Become a Teal Pumpkin Project Insider. Sign up on the website to gain additional information on how you can support the project or make a donation.
- Set up a Teal Pumpkin on your porch or a printed Teal Pumpkin sign on your door. This lets the community know you will offer allergy-free items at your home. Signs are available in English, Spanish and French.
- Purchase non-food items to pass out for Halloween such as stickers, toys, glow sticks, water bottles and crayon packs. You can stop by your local Dollar Tree, or Walmart too!
- Spread the word by sharing the information with your neighbors, friends and social networking pal. Invite them to join the project too or bring their child by your home for a safe trick or treating experience.
- Also, be sure to add your home to the participation map!
Check out our 83 Halloween Candy Alternatives for some good ideas for what to pass out.
The Teal Pumpkin project has been beneficial to so many children trick or treating. You can find more information on the FARE website.
There are also many other fun things such as coloring pages, printable stencils, and downloadable resources for you and your home. You can add a fun photo frame to your Facebook profile picture, templates for sharing project information and lots of printable kid’s activities. This Halloween I hope you join me in my 3rd year of supporting this project and remember that ‘Teal is the new Orange!’
Get more like this, The Scoop, sent right to your inbox.
From our family to yours, iFamilyKC.