Raising Bilingual Kids With 10 Minutes a Day
Raising bilingual children starts with a few small steps a few minutes per day. Using every day activities to teach a language is key. Our goal is to provide you with 10 minute activities that you can fit into your weekly routine.
10 minute activities to help your child become bilingual. One for each day of the week!
- Sunday: Nature walk- Draw up a quick check list of items your child can easily find outdoors. (Flower, tree, rock, car, dog, bird, grass, bush) Go on a short walk through your neighborhood and check off the items as you find them making sure to review and repeat as you go.
- Monday: Songs on the go- Listen to a few songs in the target language on the way to school. Before you know it they´ll be singing right along with.
- Tuesday: Play their favorite game- Let your child pick their favorite game and try to teach them a few new words to use as you play.
- Wednesday: Story time- Read your child`s favorite story book in the target language during breakfast.
- Thursday: Grocery shopping- Let your child help write the grocery list in the target language. As you make your way through the aisles, name and explain the items as you place them in the cart. Your child can check them off the list.
- Friday: Cook together- Children LOVE helping with cooking. Have them repeat all the names of fruit or other ingredients in a meal. Not only with they learn food items but you can talk about colors, work on counting and take pride in making a meal with you!
- Saturday: Cartoons – Change the language of your child’s favorite cartoon to Spanish. You´ll be surprised just how much they can follow! If you don´t have the capabilities to change the language, try finding a short cartoon on youtube.
What fun activities do you do to practice a new language at home?